Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hawaii: Road to Hana

*This is BY FAR the most picture-intensive blog post I hope I ever have the privilege of writing! Whew!*

On our "free day" we rented a Jeep and did the drive to Hana. If you ever go to Maui and wonder "what is the one thing I should do here?" then please please please remember that I told you that YOU MUST DRIVE TO HANA. We spent aaaaaalllllllll day on the drive (it's only about 40 miles but we stopped--a lot--along the way to hike, explore, eat lunch, etc.). The road to Hana has approximately 600 curves and 54 one-lane bridges, not to mention a breath-taking view around each corner. It's easy to see why such a "short" road takes such a long time to drive!

We drove past Ho'okipa Beach Park again
Twin Falls


Waikamoi Ridge Trail

Kaumahina State Wayside Park

Kenae

Wailua Valley Lookout

a look back at the road we were driving on....scary!!!

Pua'a Ka'a State Wayside Park
where I was coerced into walking across this narrow ledge (while praying that my knees didn't give out on me so that I wouldn't plunge to my death!) so we could hike up into a secluded waterfall


Wainapanapa State Park
Beautiful black sand beach, caves, and lava water pools




Is it obvious how much we liked watching the waves crash on the lava rocks?! :)


St. Joseph Church

more interesting terrain

and a beautiful sunset to end a lovely day!

5 comments:

kg said...

Sigh.... I love that old church!

Natalie said...

Your pictures are making me want to book a trip right now! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

B-E-A-utiful!! Love it all.

Meghan said...

These are gorgeous pictures!! You and Kelly are such a good looking couple. Jen, you don't look older than 21. :)

I have a big gap between my big toe and second toe too like Kelly. Very interesting... never thought about it before.

Mama Mary said...

Wow ~ these pictures take my breath away ~ goreous. This blog needs to be in travel brochure!