Sunday, March 30, 2008

On the day you were born....

Trevin,
On the day you were born....

I had an appointment with the midwife sometime in the morning. Mama Mary, Aunt McKenzie, Landon, Mia, and Aunt Mary Kathryn were all in Florida visiting us. McKenzie went with me to my appointment. I don't remember anything except for the ride home. We were on our way back home when a car going the other direction crossed the median and for a minute looked like they were going to hit us straight on. I was driving and it just seemed like a dream. I must have slowed down enough or something but he went all the way across our 2 lanes of traffic and crashed head on into a tree just behind us. It was so surreal. I have never witnessed anything like it in my life. I pulled over to the side and McKenzie got out to go check on the guy. (She's a First Responder so it was sort of her "obligation" to do so--right, 'Kenz?) We ended up being there for a long time. I was mostly just trying to stay calm and not freak out in the car while tending to baby Mia who was also with us. The police interviewed McKenzie and got her number in case they needed to talk to her anymore. We were parked there on the side of the highway when the Life Flight helicopter landed in the middle of the road to transport this poor guy to the hospital. (Did we ever find out what happened to him???)
Anyway, I'm not sure what we did the rest of that day. I'm sure we just enjoyed hanging out with all our company. That evening Kelly and I went to Kindergarten orientation for Kyler. At the school I kept having contractions that seemed be coming on stronger and closer together but I didn't want to miss any of the orientation so I just grinned and bore it. After we left the school we drove out to where MM and family were staying and hung out for awhile before we all collectively decided that this was probably "it." I went back home and got in the shower.....and then I knew that this was DEFINITELY "it!" We called the midwife and left the house around 10:00. It took 45 minutes to get to the birthing center and by the time we got there I was about ready to deliver. Sandy (the midwife) was scrambling around trying to get everything ready while I was trying my best to wait. Less than an hour after we arrived at the birth center our beautiful baby boy came into this world at 11:39pm.

7 comments:

McKenzie said...

That accident was the worst thing I have ever witnessed. That was definitly enough to send anyone into labor. You didn't mention that you delivered that night and were home by morning folding laundry. It was a fun trip to Florida.

Unknown said...

I remember it all very clearly. I was so glad I was able to be there. Do you remember the floors at that place we stayed they were so gross. On a different note- Kierstyn slept in bed with me that night and must had been feeling sorry for her mom because she cried, screamed and kicked all night. I also think I have video from that trip- do you have a copy of that?

Bama Holcomb Family said...

I have never seen so many updates and they were all about Trevin. I can only imagine how hard it is to watch your littlest and last baby grow older. (I think I need to have a heart-to-heart with you before you move.)

Anonymous said...

That was the first of many to follow visits at the "new house" where we stayed. That was some quick delivery. Our boy T got here in a hurry when he made up his mind. Sorry you and Kenz witnessed that accident ~ MK and I were busy trying to prevent accidents with Landon, Kyler and Kierstyn ~ fun memories!

Lisha said...

These kind of stories are the best, and are you wonder woman or what... I enjoyed reading the comments almost as much as your actual post!

Wendyrful said...

Wow! how frightening to almost be in the middle of that! What a blessing for you to be missed, Angels must have been watcing over you!!!!

And... I LOVE to read A wonderful birth story! how fun! Thanks for sharing that.

Lisa said...

Wow. I love reading stuff like that...what other stories do you have??