Monday, April 14, 2008

Food

I've got food on the brain and wanted to share a few things.....

First of all, Hope has inspired me with her Grocery Store Challenge. Check out this fantastic website: Hillbilly Housewife. I am not quite up to the challenge yet but I plan to do this very, very soon (hopefully next week). Hope was kind enough to post all her modifications, too. I have definitely been inspired.

Also, a month or so ago I came across this website: A Year of Crockpotting. Good stuff, I tell you! This lady has made a resolution to use her crockpot every single day in 2008. So far, so good. She's on Day 104! There are all kinds of recipes on here and the best part is that she gives you a "verdict" after each recipe (how well she and her family liked it and any other noteworthy info). Her blog entries are entertaining, too--it's not just a bunch of boring recipes. I have printed several recipes that I plan to try like Crockpot 16 Bean Soup (I've already bought the ingredients) and Crockpot Chicken Teriyaki. Oh, and the Candied Walnuts sound delish, too! I definitely go through phases with my crockpot but I am a huge fan of it!

And one more thing.....last Friday on Kyler's birthday I wanted to make him a special breakfast. Thursday night I had decided I would make French toast for him so I thawed 2 loaves of frozen bread dough (they make the best french toast!). About 9:00pm I realized I didn't have any eggs and since the kids were all in bed and Kelly was out of town I didn't have the option of running to the store to pick up some eggs. What to do? I googled "French toast no eggs" and found this recipe:

Vegan French Toast
1 1⁄2 C. Water
3 T. Flour
1 T. Corn Starch
1 T. Sugar
1 T. Vanilla
1⁄4 t. Salt
1 t. Cinnamon
2 T. Vegan Margarine, melted
1⁄4 t. Turmeric
Day-old Bread

1. Blend all ingredients together with a whisk until smooth.
2. Cook in a sauce pan over medium heat until it thickens like pancake batter.
3. Remove batter from heat and soak bread until wet.
4. Fry until golden brown in greased frying pan

I followed the recipe except I didn't have any turmeric so I left it out. It was soooooo good! The kids (and I) all loved it! Kyler said they smelled like honey buns. :)

5 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing!!!

Becki said...

Wow, you are smart! I never would have thouht to look up eggless french toast. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Lisha said...

Yeah, you are a brilliant one! I'll have to try that recipe, and thanks for the crock pot link. I especially love the crockpot on Sundays, though I want to learn how to fix more than roast in it! :)

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Birthday bowling sounds great!!! Love the french toast idea. Thanks!

Bama Holcomb Family said...

Oh, and thanks for the mention! I have been thoroughly enjoying this challenge, as I hope many who could benefit from it might, too. Good luck! (And I am definitely going to look at the crockpot site. I love crockpot cooking!!)