Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Trying to start the (school) year off right

The past couple of days I have been working on some much needed organization of ideas. Getting ready for back to school is a lot of work!

School supplies are bought (and delivered to classrooms); kids are registered, outfitted, and (I think) ready to go back with summer reading projects in hand. We had our "Back to school" family pow-wow tonight. And it's time to recommit ourselves to the chore chart.
We had a Back to School Fashion Show on Monday night for Family Home evening. I think we need to work on our catwalk skills! :)
We celebrated the new school year by going to Hawaii tonight! Well, not exactly. But "go to Hawaii" was on our list of things to do this summer (Trevin's suggestion) and since we never made it there, we had Hawaiian Haystacks and Tropical Smoothies for dinner while listening to the Hawaiian music station on the tv. :)

I decided to simplify breakfast and lunch prep and came up with a "menu"....and I even had the kids help. I think I started out with something similar last year but I didn't exactly follow through for very long. I'm hoping that my determination will last longer this time around. :)

Here is what we came up with:

Breakfasts:
Mon-Smoothies & cereal
Tues-Oatmeal or grits
Wed-Eggs & toast
Thurs-Smoothies & cereal
Fri-"Special" (Pancakes, waffles, french toast, muffins, etc.)

Lunches:
Mon-pb sandwiches
Tues-Salad
Wed-Wraps (meat & cheese)
Thurs-Pasta
Fri-Soup or tuna or egg salad

I really hope this simplifies things for me a bit. Meal planning/preparation is not my "thing" so I'm hoping this will help.

We have been trying to wean down our bedtime since Sunday....going to bed at 10:30 and sleeping in til 11:00 just won't cut it anymore. :(
6:30 will undoubtedly come early tomorrow morning.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Oh your lucky to not be in school yet. I'd love a few more days. Plus you are one of the most creative Mom's out there. A Hawaii night. How fun.

Michael and Lindsey said...

I always know whose blog to turn to when I need help with something home/kid-related. I was just going to search your blog for school lunch ideas, thinking that maybe you posted something last year. I should have known that you would have a new list up already. Jealous of your organization skills and thankful that you share them!

kg said...

You're so organized. It's cereal or oatmeal every morning at our house and sandwiches everyday for lunch :)

Loved the fashion show and trip to Hawaii!

Hope everyone has a great first day!

Kim Mayfield said...

Awesome breakfast and lunch ideas. I feel like a really lazy mom because most mornings I'm telling the kids to grab something quick before we run out the door. I think that I have to try some of these!